Monday, January 09, 2006


Ah, the Vest! Pretty nice huh? Yeah, too bad it fits my body, instead of my husband's. After all, it was supposed to be for him. Just for clarity, Keith is 6 foot, and like maybe 175 pounds. So, I bought the fleece, washed it, carded it, spun it. I knitted my swatch. I made the vest. See the slightly big leap here? From swatch to entire vest, knit on a 24" needle, and never smoothing the baby out and rechecking my freaking gauge? Yeah. Well, it was meant to be a Christmas surprise that I got it done. And I did, working madly. Well, it turned out to be quite a surprise for me too. I did not see this one coming. This vest was so meant for him, in my heart, that for quite a while I could not deal with the tiny bit of finishing. It just lay there, dejected, in the trunk of the car. Well, I've moved on. This vest is so comfy. And it does fit me perfectly. Keith swears I did it subconsciously on purpose. So, details: the wool is a lovely coopworth-Maine island cross, that I got at work. (If anyone is interested, I think we still have some.) Very soft. In fact, as I carried Shiloh up to the house from the little creek that we play in, and that she fell in that day, even bare legged, she swore it wasn't itchy. (It was crazy warm that day, and she did have on pants, until she soaked them falling in. Please don't think I'm a bad mom.) The basis of the pattern is from Nancy Lindberg's "Family of Vests". I have done my version of this vest 5-6 times now, and I love the ease of it. My main changes are that I knit it in the round to the armholes, and that I do a much more gradual decrease, and fewer decreases overall, in the front. I love that the neck and armholes have GS edging knit as you go. The finishing on this takes 10 minutes. It's looking like Keith's vest is going to be out of Donegal Tweed. Isn't life funny.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Green Jeans said...

This post was so fun to read! How many times have I done something similar? Maybe not as drastic since I've avoided starting a project for my 6 foot 6 spouse for these 10 wonderful years! But I loved the way it turned out, a nice treat for you and I suppose a lesson for all of us in taking the time to check!

Megan

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home